Workington’s longest trading family firm
George Henry Chambers, a Master Craftsman carpenter and joiner set up a joinery workshop in Workington in 1881.
The firm has continued through the generations and today G H Chambers & Son is one of Workington’s longest trading family firms.
Operating from the head office at Clay Flatts Trading Estate in Workington, the family firm have developed a wealth of experience in specialist joinery manufacture, whilst diversifying their business to offer a range of complementary services and products.
From minor repairs to full refurbishment, both domestic and commercial, they pride themselves in the highest standards of work and regularly get positive feedback for their approach to customer care and attention to detail.
George Henry Chambers establishes a joinery workshop in Dean St, Workington.
His son, Ernest Edward Chambers, takes over. He also served his time as a Carpenter and worked his way across Canada before returning to join his father as a Master Craftsman.
1930s – 1940s
In turn his son, Ronald, served his time as a Carpenter/Joiner. The workshop moved to new premises in James Street, Workington.
1939 – 1945
Following his time serving in the Royal Engineers in WWII, Ron returned to help his father in the business and eventually took over the running of the firm.
Ronald’s sons, Ian and George, join the firm. George serving his apprenticeship as a joiner, Ian returning after training and working away as an engineer.
1980s – 1990s
Business expands, acquiring more property on James Street to open – Chambers Timber & DIY and a kitchen/home improvements showroom.
Further expansion when the joinery workshop moves to additional premises on the Clay Flats Trading Estate.
Joinery workshop extended to accommodate more storage and workshops.
George’s son Geoff returns to work in the family firm having gained a degree in Civil Engineering at Leeds University in 1998 and having worked out of the area for a few years. Geoff is the fifth generation to work in the business.
The business consolidates, moving the kitchen/home improvements into the adjacent building to the joinery site on the Clay Flatts Estate and opening a new high spec kitchen showroom.
After seven years without a Timber and DIY department, Chambers reopened this part of the business in a new location next door to their joinery workshops and timber stores at Clay Flatts and with the same experienced staff at the helm.
The new showroom at Clay Flatts and the recently opened Timber and DIY departments have proved hugely successful investments and Chambers are expanding their team with a new kitchen designer.